sftp client for OpenSSH / Emacs Ange-FTP

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Nov 22 18:47:44 EST 2000

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Pekka Savola wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, SOETE Joël wrote:
> > > Trying to find the same thing, I found this:
> > >
> > > http://www.la-samhna.de/hsftp/index.html
> > >
> > > Sincerely, I not yet try but seems very interesting.
> >
> > AFAIK, there are some utils with 'sftp' in their names that have nothing
> > in common with the SSH.COM sftp protocol except that they use ssh
> > as a tunnel.
> >
> > I'd be rather surprised if that one worked with sftp-server.
> >
> > There's an sftp client in SSH.COM's SSH 2.3.0 (which is ~GPL for Linux
> > etc.).  It requires some tweaking.
> >
> Umm... and where is this 'magical' GPL licensing for Linux?  All licensing
> I see is the extremely restrict 'If you use this for anything that even
> SORTA smells like commerical.. you owe us bigtime'.
>
> I'd love to see anything differently.  I even just downloaded the source
> to verify.  Because if sftp was under GPL style licensing then it could be
> folded into the OpenSSH with of course Theo's permission. =)

They announced a new license for 2.3.0, and I somehow associated that
with GPL because they wouldn't charge anything for it on
Linux or *BSD.  At the time time there was talk about the licensing
restrictions wrt. patching.

Of course, GPL is really not about the price tag.

My mistake, sorry.

Pekka.Savola at netcore.fi      not those you stumble over and fall"