Feature disappeared?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Oct 30 20:57:19 EST 2000

Hi,

working on tightening our network (somewhat) today, I found that OpenSSH
doesn't seem to have the "AllowSHosts" directive (in sshd_config) that
Commercial SSH (at least 1.2.25 & up) has.

Now I wonder whether that hasn't been implemented yet, or has been dropped
for a certain reason.

I find this very useful for what I want to achieve - inside the company
network, .shosts is honoured, from outside the company, it isn't.  No
matter what people put in their .shosts, they can't login from home
without a password (and S/Key in future), thus a break-in into their home
machine won't immediately break the office network as well...

Or is this train of thought flawed somewhere?  (As usually, I have to
balance user convenience vs. security - if security is to inconvenient,
people won't use it).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de