Compatibility with 1.2.16 (commercial)?

Benjamin Riefenstahl Benjamin.Riefenstahl at ision.net
Tue Oct 31 04:12:57 EST 2000

Hi folks,

I'm currently trying to connect to version 1.2.16 of the commercial
server.  The server says it supports protocol version 1.4 and that that
is incompatible with protocol version 1.5.  Is that actually true?  The
complete output from "ssh -v xxxxxxx" is:

$ ./ssh -v xxxxxxx
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090581f).
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug: Applying options for *
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 1000 geteuid 1000 anon 0
debug: Connecting to xxxxxxx [xx.xx.xx.xx] port 22.
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: Allocated local port 883.
debug: Connection established.
debug: Remote protocol version 1.4, remote software version 1.2.16
debug: no match: 1.2.16
debug: Local version string SSH-1.5-OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
debug: Waiting for server public key.
Received disconnect: This server does not support your new ssh version.
debug: Calling cleanup 0x414cf0(0x0)
$

If I patch the version string sent by ssh to SSH-1.4-xxx, it works.  But
there seems to be no configuration parameter to influence that string,
it's basically hardcoded in the ssh executable.

Should I just not try that, could I add such a configuration parameter
or is there any other way to get a connection?

Another way of handling this would theoretically be to update the
server, but as administration of the servers is not my domain here in
the company, I would really prefer not to have to do that.

so long, benny
--
ISION Internet AG
Benjamin Riefenstahl