Problems/patches for BSD/OS 4.0.1

Larry Jones larry.jones at sdrc.com
Sun Sep 17 14:42:20 EST 2000

Damien Miller writes [quoting me]:

> > 2) The fixprogs script doesn't reopen the child process's STDIN, STDOUT,
> > and STDERR correctly.  This caused all of the ``tail'' commands in
> > ssh_prng_cmds to fail because they couldn't write to stdout.  Here's a
> > patch:
>
> Applied. How does this help, the patch only adds parantheses?

I'm not a perl expert, but it seems that

     open STDOUT, ">/dev/null";

is parsed as

     open (STDOUT), ">/dev/null";

rather than

     open (STDOUT, ">/dev/null");

which seems to be contrary to what the perl manual says, but without the
parens, the tail commands all failed with EBADF; with them, it works.

-Larry Jones

I'm crying because out there he's gone, but he's not gone inside me. -- Calvin