CryptoCard patch

Igmar Palsenberg i.palsenberg at jdimedia.nl
Thu Sep 21 00:39:48 EST 2000

On 20 Sep 2000, erich wrote:

> > I can understand why you feel that way, but appreciate our position:
> > The portable version is just that - a port of OpenSSH as released by
> > the OpenBSD team to other operating systems. The only new features
> > relate to correct operation on the target systems: entropy collection,
> > native authentication, etc.
>
> Yes, I understand that, and when our system launches, it will be
> running under OpenBSD, so I'll want to have CryptoCard support in the
> "native" OpenSSH anyway.
>
> > Unless we want multiple, incompatible versions (which we don't), it
>
> Yes, multiple incompatible versions would be very bad.  It will also
> be bad if there are branches in the tree, particularly silly branches
> like a CryptoCard branch.

I don't see what the problem is in this case. The CryptoCard (X9.9) case
isn't any different then for example S/Key. It's just another method, that
is widely supported.

> > If you want to sponsor further work on OpenSSH (and we certainly
> > hope that you do!), you would be well advised to contact Markus
> > Friedl <markus.friedl at informatik.uni-erlangen.de> before you start
> > to determine the best way to work together. He may even be willing
> > to do the development himself - Markus has done more work on OpenSSH
> > than anyone else.
>
> I very much want to sponsor further work on OpenSSH (and also
> OpenBSD), and I have a few more features that I need for myself, which
> will also be beneficial to others.  The #1 of these projects would be
> CryptoCard support in the SSH2 protocol.  I would also like to sponsor
> someone to write a free Windows implementation of SSH2, perhaps based
> on PuTTY (which seems like quite a good program).
>
> I will contact Markus.  I would be very very happy to tell my
> contractor, and Markus, "I want CryptoCard support in OpenSSH,
> protocols SSH1 and SSH2.  Markus, please tell Igmar what needs to be
> done.  Igmar, please send me the bill.  Markus, please put Igmar's
> code into your release."

I agree on that one. I would be happy to do the work, and work with Markus
to integrate it in the OpenSSH port.

	Regards,

		Igmar

Igmar Palsenberg