Solaris Install Inconsistency (Portable Release)

no at pad.zuken.de no at pad.zuken.de
Thu Apr 5 03:31:20 EST 2001

hello Openssh developers,

i am administrating a Solaris Network and installed the openssh2.5.2p2
server on one mashine, the clients network-wide.

I had a problem with sftp and solved it, but maybe it is at least worth
mentioning in the faq:

By default, the sftp subsystem is commented out in the sshd_config.
Simply removing the comment does not work because the path of the sftpd
executable is wrong, in the config-file it is /usr/local/sbin/sftpd, but
make install has installed it under /usr/local/bin/sftp-server. This
took me a while to find out, because the log-facilities regarding sftp
are somewhat poor. If i set Logging to DEBUG or VERBOSE nothing can be
read in the authlog (nor in messages), with INFO Loglevel, just the
authentications are logged, if i start sftpclient with -v i got more to
read in my shell, but not anything which could lead me to the idea that
it couldn't find the executable of sftpd. This is a bit tricky.

We tried the sshd from ssh communications before, but its not free, and
i was missing the possibility to permit ssh just for some users. With
openssh i found this feature at the first look. Well Done!

thank you for developing such an important piece of software, bye, Enno

--
    ZUKEN GmbH * Vattmannstr. 3 * D-33100 Paderborn * Germany
    Phone: +49 (0) 52 51-150 600 * Fax: +49 (0) 52 51-150 700
Enno Ostendorf * http://www.supersmart.de * mailto:no at supersmart.de
  Download PGP public key: http://www.supersmart.de/nopgp.askey