$MAIL surprise

Steve VanDevender stevev at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Sat Apr 7 06:32:42 EST 2001

Lewandowsky, Matt writes:
 > Is there anyway for it to evaluate, at runtime, say $HOME? As your
 > mailspools are under each users's home directory, if I read correctly...

It wouldn't be that hard to add some code in session.c to do something
like this:

#ifdef MAILSPOOLHOME
                snprintf(buf, sizeof buf, "%.200s/.50s",
                         pw->pw_dir, MAILSPOOLHOME);
                child_set_env(&env, &envsize, "MAIL", buf);
#else
                snprintf(buf, sizeof buf, "%.200s/%.50s",
                         _PATH_MAILDIR, pw->pw_name);
                child_set_env(&env, &envsize, "MAIL", buf);
#endif

This is probably the local change I'll put into our source tree.

However, this isn't the only way that people modify mail spooling in
large installations; another is the "/var/mail/u/user" hashing scheme.
I'm certainly not arguing for putting in a bunch of code to deal with
all these kinds of customizations, especially when there's no good way
to specify the different methods algorithmically.

Just as a random thought, what about making the setting of MAIL
conditional on whether "CheckMail yes" is specified in sshd_config?