ssh host echo bla | echo bla

Ed Phillips ed at UDel.Edu
Tue Dec 18 04:55:20 EST 2001

It's even worse with csh (my first test was tcsh):

polycut:~> csh -f
polycut.nss.udel.edu% ssh ldap1 echo bla | echo bla
bla
polycut.nss.udel.edu% Reset tty pgrp from 13749 to 13747
<..hang..>

If I hit CTRL-C and type "jobs" I get:

^C
polycut.nss.udel.edu% jobs
[1]    Hangup               ssh ldap1 echo bla |
polycut.nss.udel.edu%

The following works fine...

polycut:~> ssh ldap1 ps -eaf | egrep slapd

The other thing is that /bin/rsh behaves the same way as ssh does in my
first test:

polycut:~> rsh mahler echo bla | echo bla
bla
polycut:~> polycut:~>

No actual connection to the remote system is made.  Very weird.

	Ed