chroot howto for sftp-server

Manfred Heubach heubach at heubach-edv.de
Thu Dec 20 03:53:44 EST 2001

Dear Dan,

of course you're right. I should have mentioned that this patch may open security holes and that everybody has to decide on his own wether to use this patch or not. Sorry for that!

But back to a possible solution:
1. If I change the patch to access the information from passwd this solves the $HOME issue.

2. Then we could change the directory for chroot to something like /home/username/chroot instead of the home directory itself. This would prevent the users from accessing the home directory and .ssh at all.

(My instructions suggested to chown .ssh to root:root and chmod it and all files in it to 755 (I looked into my howto right now and this is really bad because there I told to chmod 766 - which is complete bullshit). If .ssh is owned by root and 755 then users can read files from .ssh but not change them or upload files to .ssh. Furthermore I mentioned that I have the homedirs themselves owned by root and only readable for the users. This - of course - should have been recommended.)

3. Sanity checks on the chroot target are beyond my scope. As I already told I'm not very up to date with programming.

Regards
Manfred