Patch for unformatted manpages

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Feb 7 17:32:39 EST 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Mark D. Roth wrote:

> The attached patch (relative to the current CVS snapshot) uses a perl
> script to convert the OpenSSH manpages from the BSD -mdoc format to
> the -man format used by other systems.  This allows the unformatted
> manpages to be installed normally, rather than defaulting to
> preformatted pages.

Looks very nice! Can people who have had problems with manpages try
the perl script out and report back?

> I'd like to see this patch integrated into the portable version of
> OpenSSH.  Please let me know what you think about this.  Thanks!

I am all for it. Just a bit of feedback to bring us closer to this
point:

Is there a license on the perl script? It needs one.

I would prefer not to remove the preformatted pages altogether, but
instead alter --with-catman to take either 'mandoc', 'man' or 'cat'
arguments. Some similar configure.in magic would be required. I
can do this if required.

-d