RPM .spec files: rsh requirement removed

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Feb 27 09:08:11 EST 2001

Hello all,

I think it's time to remove /usr/bin/rsh as a build requirement from
contrib/*/*.spec files. I really want to start getting rid of r* tools
already.. :-)

This has been there from OpenSSH 2.1.1p4 era or so because back then, if
configure couldn't find /usr/bin/rsh, it wouldn't be defined at all (see
below).

Also, FallBackToRsh isn't enabled by default so this shouldn't be a
problem.

defines.h back long time ago:
---
#ifndef _PATH_RSH
# ifdef RSH_PATH
#  define _PATH_RSH RSH_PATH
# endif /* RSH_PATH */
#endif /* _PATH_RSH */
---

Ie: no fallback to /usr/bin/rsh.

Nowadays, this has been:

---
#ifndef _PATH_RSH
# ifdef RSH_PATH
#  define _PATH_RSH RSH_PATH
# else /* RSH_PATH */
#  define _PATH_RSH "/usr/bin/rsh"
# endif /* RSH_PATH */
#endif /* _PATH_RSH */
---

So, even if rsh isn't found by configure at compile-time, for Red Hat
Linux, and most other OS's (and this would only affect .spec files)
this would go right by default anyway.

Only, rsh backward will break with an error without this.  But as it is
off by default, I see no problems.

--
Pekka Savola                  "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                    not those you stumble over and fall"