couple of questions

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Jan 17 13:30:48 EST 2001

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Rachit Siamwalla wrote:

> This is regarding openssh 2.3.0p1 (the following problem was seen on
> Linux client / server):
>
> I have a problem with openssh when i don't "login": ie. i do the
> following:
>
> ssh -2 10.1.6.13 echo 0
>
> It doesn't print the "0".

This is a known problem and has been fixed in the snapshots[1], a new
release is due fairly soon.

> My second question has been asked / answered once on the archive
> already, but I'm wondering whether someone in the meantime was able to
> get around this problem: I need to be able to convert a F-secure /
> ssh.com private key to openssh private key format. (i believe it was
> marcus that said that the ssh.com private key format was proprietary and
> the thread ended there). However, ssh.com's source code is available
> (last i checked), and i was wondering whether someone wrote a program to
> do that already. If not, i'll see if its feasable for me to do it myself
> (and also whether i will get into any legal issues by doing this).

It wouldn't be legal to use ssh.com's sourcecode if you don't have a
license for it. We will never accept any contributions which have been
legally tainted by ssh.com's source.

If you were to reverse engineer the format by examining & decoding the
output, [sl]tracing the binary _AND_ reverse engineering is legal in
your jurisdiction, then you could write a legally unencumbered version.

-d