BSafe toolkits for implementing RSA public key algorithm

David Terrell dbt at meat.net
Thu Jan 18 12:08:08 EST 2001

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 05:02:02PM -0800, Gordon Fritsch wrote:
> That is what I am hearing, but our legal department seems to think
> otherwise. Apparently, even though the patent expired, there are licensing
> issues with using the RSA algorithms. This is for a possible commercial
> application.

RSA Labs explicitly put the RSA patent into the public domain on Sept 6th.
Press release here: http://www.rsasecurity.com/news/pr/000906-1.html.
The BSAFE RSA crypto toolkit is still commercial software and must
be licensed from RSA Security Inc for use.

Your legal dept may be confusing RSA the algorithm with RSA's BSAFE
implementation -- further discussion of this is unrelated to ssh
but can be directed to me personally.

--
David Terrell   | "To increase the hype, I'm gonna release a bunch
Nebcorp PM      | of BLT variants (NetBLT, FreeBLT, BLT386, etc)