Regarding hanging of ssh upon exit

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Thu Jul 12 01:22:12 EST 2001

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 08:49:23AM -0400, Erik Luijten wrote:
> It is stated that this has to do with the fact that children of the shell
> are not killed upon exiting the shell. However, the problem also occurs if
> a process is started with 'nohup'. This is very annoying, because it is
> not uncommon to connect to a remote machine, start a lengthy
> computation with 'nohup' and then exit. My point now is the following:

Based on someone else's statement and verified by my own observations (HP-UX):
the hanging ssh connection is not caused by the child processes, but by
the child processes still having file descriptors open.
I have since then solved the problem by redirecting the file descriptors
  command > /dev/null 2>&1 etc etc
Of course you may consider something different than /dev/null in order
to catch the output...

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/