openssh keys in ldap

Doug E Manton douglas.manton at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jul 17 06:32:49 EST 2001

> we assume the ldap server is secure,

If you manage the LDAP server, then you can assume it is secure.  Are you
willing to hand your private keys to a server you don't control?  Maybe I
am just paranoid, but in my line of work... ;-)

My private key stays on a machine which I control and it never traverses
the network, encrypted or not.  I generated it, I protect it and so I
trust it.  We should educate our users to treat their private keys with
the same respect.

Simple, clear rules are most likely to be followed.

  Doug Manton, AT&T EMEA Commercial Security Solutions

               E:  demanton at att.com