FW: rsa_public_encrypt() exponent too small or not odd

CARLSON,MATTHEW (Non-HP-Cupertino,ex1) matthew_carlson at non.hp.com
Thu Mar 1 13:54:23 EST 2001

I have the following bug report to submit.

OpenSSH 2.5.1p1 and 2.5.1p2

HP-UX 11.00 Dart 51 64bit (32bit compile)
OpenSSL 0.9.6
Zlib 1.1.3

Cflags:
-Ae

I keep getting "rsa_public_encrypt() exponent too small or not odd" with the
SSH 1 or 1.5 protocols. I can't get OpenSSH to communicate with itself with
any protocal other than SSH 2.

I have searched everywhere. Google, OpenBSD, Dejanews, etc... I found a very
old problem that was similar in the OpenSSH mail archives but the rsa.c code
file is newer then the fix described.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew Carlson

has cropped up in the past on other platforms. But that was on much older
releases.