"cipher none" alternatives ?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sun Mar 18 00:42:25 EST 2001

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Dan Kaminsky wrote:
> Interesting!  Lemme do some experiments...
>
> Yes, Cygwin OpenSSH SCP -> Linux OpenSSH manages 280k/s 3DES, 350K/s
> Blowfish.  This is over a wireless card (I use SSH for wireless security),
> so I might be bumping into limits on this supposed-11MB/s link.
>
> You've not done Arcfour with OpenSSH; it's not supported.  I'm not sure if I
> like that or not.

arcfour is supported in SSHv2.

> My numbers came from port encapsulation figures, rather than scp command
> encapsulation figures.  What numbers have you seen when moving, say, files
> over a forwarded HTTP link?

Do you copy the files over local LAN?  If your RTT is high enough, TCP
limits might be kicking in if window size is not bumped.  For example, FTP
transfers about 30 ms way off a Windows NT workstation are limited to
about 170 kbytes/sec.

--
Pekka Savola                  "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                    not those you stumble over and fall"