Regarding PAM_TTY_KLUDGE and Solaris 8...

Ed Phillips ed at UDel.Edu
Thu Oct 25 04:01:16 EST 2001

Okay, this appears to be a problem with pam_unix.so - the code in
pam_sm_open_session is written with the assumption that the tty name is of
the form "/dev/" + something else on the end.  I'm not sure why the
existing kludge works without getting a SEGV - but it's probably blind
luck (although I'd think it would fail for someone at some point).  If it
doesn't break anything on other systems, the kludge should probably be
changed to pass "/dev/ssh" or something, just to be safe.

The core dump happens as it's trying to strip "/dev/" off of the tty name
in order to write the tty name (abbreviated) into the lastlog.

	Ed

Ed Phillips <ed at udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082
Systems Programmer III, Network and Systems Services
finger -l ed at polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key