openssh and multiple ports

Loomis, Rip GILBERT.R.LOOMIS at saic.com
Wed Sep 5 05:09:43 EST 2001

John--
I agree that user at host:port would be more in line with
other non-ssh uses, but the colon is already magic to scp with
a different meaning.  If one wants to scp a file to a
remote system where ssh is running on an unusual port,
then there could be confusion:

scp filename username at host:port:/home/username

To my knowledge, that's why the user at host#port syntax
was used in that "other" ssh implementation.

Having said that, I don't see that the -p port option is
so onerous as to make it worth implementing the #port
method.

--
Rip Loomis
Senior Systems Security Engineer