sshd hangs on logout -- is this a bug?

Sturle Sunde sturle.sunde at usit.uio.no
Fri Sep 7 09:16:43 EST 2001

[Quoting reformatted for readability]

Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com> writes:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 04:57:51PM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:
>> In the changelog, there is an entry:
>>
>> 20001129
>>  - (djm) Back out all the serverloop.c hacks. sshd will now hang again
>>    if there are background children with open fds.
>>
>> Does this mean that this is regarded as expected (and correct)
>> behavior, that should not change in the future, or does it mean
>> that this behavior is a known problem that someone will eventually
>> fix?
>
> This is normal behaviour for RSH and is natural behaviour anyways.

Not if you enter an interactive session (and rsh become rlogin).

If I rsh to a machine, exec bash, sleep 100 & and logout, I get
disconnected immediately.  If I ssh to a machine running OpenSSH 2.9p2
and do the same, I don't get disconnected until the sleep is finished.
SSH.com sshd disconnects immediately in all cases when the shell exits
(like rlogind, not rshd).  This difference in behaviour is very
annoying, and I hoped it would be fixed in the next version.

--
Sturle      All eyes were on Ford Prefect. Some of them were on stalks.
~~~~~~           -- Douglas Adams, So long, and thanks for all the fish