bug in scp (OpenSSH)

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Tue Sep 11 07:08:04 EST 2001

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 10:41:02AM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Jason Stone wrote:
>
> > Yes, but rcp doesn't take a "-q", so if I have my scripts call $RCP -q and
> > $RCP is set to rcp, it doesn't go.
> >
> > This is the first response that I've seen from one of the
> > maintainers/developers on this matter, and it still doesn't address the
> > issue - are you going to consider taking out the progress bar or at least
> > making it default to off?  And if you aren't going to take it out, are you
> > going to consider putting in any of the other good patches to scp that
> > have been posted?
>
> scp only displays the progress meter is stderr is a tty. How does this
> cause problems?

These are interactive scripts, where just some of the things they do use
scp.  The users of the scripts don't even realize an scp is happening, so
they certainly don't expect that output.

You could argue that the scripts should just use 'scp -q' or redirect
stderr somewhere, but some of these scripts were written for the old ssh
before the statistics were added (and when they did add it I chose the
configure option to turn it off), and I don't own all the scripts; I
maintain ssh, and the fewer incompatibilities with the old ssh, the easier
it will be for me to upgrade everybody to OpenSSH.

- Dave Dykstra