bug in scp (OpenSSH)

Markus Friedl markus at openbsd.org
Wed Sep 12 21:10:58 EST 2001

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 04:37:59PM -0700, Jason Stone wrote:

> > >This has come up many times before, and the consensus of the developers
> > >seems to be that they're not interested in fixing or adding features to
> > >scp because they want to make scp just the secure version of rcp, and it's
> > >not up to them to change rcp.
> >
> > One thing I have missing from other versions is the throughput meter
> > in the status bar.
>
> Incidentally, at my last company, the progress bar was a source of
> breakage for legacy scripts that didn't expect rcp to be producing any
> output - so what's up with that?  How does that fit into your model of
> being rsh/rcp compatible and not introducing extraneous features?  Do you
> really think that breaking rcp compatibility with a status bar is a better
> idea than "breaking" it with, for example, a flag to allow atomic
> transfers?
>
> Don't you think that if the progress bar exists at all, it should at least
> be enabled via commandline option or environment variable, and not be the
> default?

yes, i think so, but it's too late.

i had an argument with the ssh developers when this was
added to ssh-1.2.x some time ago, and i really don't
want this happen again.

the 'legacy' scripts don't see the bar if the are running
without at tty (or with the -q option), but -- as i said --
it's a bad idea to change the default behaviour	and it's
a very bad idea to change it _again_.

-m