scp doesn't work with large (>2GB) files

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Sep 12 22:07:05 EST 2001

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 01:34:52PM +0200, Markus Friedl wrote:
> > Using O_LARGEFILE is probably the least worst solution to this problem on
> > Linux at least.
>
> i still don't see how a flag to open(2) can help if off_t is 32 bit?

As long as you don't use lseek() on that file descriptor - who cares?

I think that's the main rationale behind O_LARGEFILE: "hello operating
system: I know that I'm not going to do anything with file offsets, just
read/write this file in a linear way, but it might cross 2Gbyte doing
that - but that's OK, I know what I'm doing".

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de