OpenSSH linkable library

Eric Huss e-huss at netmeridian.com
Thu Sep 20 04:54:19 EST 2001

> > Has anyone considered making a linkable library of the OpenSSH code so
> > that one could programatically interact with ssh?  Or is there some other
> > method to accomplish this?
>
> depends on what do you want to use it for.

Well, specifically I'd like to have a server periodically scp files.
Under normal conditions, it will be OK because it will use DSA keys.  But
there are some exceptions, such as if the remote host's key changes and
the user doesn't update the server.  I don't want to have to do TTY
emulation in order to parse the output from scp.  Also, what scp prints
out may not be consistent from version to version.

I'd like to easily detect exceptions and be able to relay the exact
problem to the user.

It would also be nice to be able to track the progress of the transfer.  I
would rather not recreate all the code in scp.c.

-Eric