vis.[ch]

Tom Holroyd tomh at po.crl.go.jp
Thu Sep 20 11:31:06 EST 2001

Does anybody use openbsd-compat/vis.c?  Not at the moment I think:

% find . -name '*.[ch]' -exec grep -l "vis *(" {} \;
./openbsd-compat/vis.c
./openbsd-compat/vis.h
% find . -name '*.[ch]' -exec grep -l VIS_ {} \;
./includes.h
./openbsd-compat/vis.c
./openbsd-compat/vis.h

The reason I ask is, AT&T's graphviz package includes a vis.h, and when I
try to compile openssh I get errors because configure finds that one and
tries to include it during the build.  It used to be, I could just
-Iopenbsd-compat, but that doesn't work anymore because now getopt.h is in
there, and that fails to compile during configure because config.h doesn't
exist (yet).

So, if nobody is using vis.*, can we get rid of it?

As a separate problem, I note that lots of the mainline codes in
openssh do explicit
	extern int optind;
etc., rather than relying on getopt.h.  That's probably wrong.
(Why doesn't openssh use unistd.h for that, by the way?)

Dr. Tom Holroyd
"I am, as I said, inspired by the biological phenomena in which
chemical forces are used in repetitious fashion to produce all
kinds of weird effects (one of which is the author)."
	-- Richard Feynman, _There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom_