Today's CVS trouble (HP-UX 10.20)

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Tue Sep 25 23:18:48 EST 2001

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 10:26:58PM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Lutz Jaenicke wrote:
> > I now find the following error messages in my logfiles:
> > Sep 25 12:16:38 ws01 sshd[17610]: wtmp_get_entry: read of /var/adm/wtmp failed:
> > Bad file number
> > Sep 25 12:17:11 ws01 sshd[17659]: wtmp_get_entry: read of /var/adm/wtmp failed:
> > No such device or address
> >
> > These do not occur with 2.9p2. On the host in question I have been running
> > last weeks (Thursday?) CVS without trouble. After distributing the latest
> > CVS version to other hosts (previously running 2.9p2) I also see the same
> > error messages popping up.
> > In the Changelog I don't see any hint on what to look for. Any hints?
>
> I can't see what could be causing this - nothing has changed in this area
> recently.

That was also my impression. I had a look into loginrec.c and could not
see any particular reason.
        while (!found) {
                if (atomicio(read, fd, &ut, sizeof(ut)) != sizeof(ut)) {
                        log("wtmp_get_entry: read of %s failed: %s",
                            WTMP_FILE, strerror(errno));
                        close (fd);
                        return 0;
                }
The log entry "No such device or address" does not make sense in this
context. The conclusion would be, that the condition
  (atomicio(read, fd, &ut, sizeof(ut)) != sizeof(ut))
is true, but it was not an error that occured. Does this mean, that
the of bytes read from wtmp was not sizeof(ut)?
Have to find out, whether there is something odd with /var/adm/wtmp
going on... (I am using OpenSSH since it was released and never had
any problem like this before...)

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/