ssh2 key passphrase problems in 2.9.9 on Linux

Phil Stracchino alaric at babcom.com
Fri Sep 28 07:26:14 EST 2001

I've just compiled and installed openssh-2.9.9p2 (compiled against
openssl-0.9.6b using gcc-3.0.0) on a Slackware 7-based Linux machine
(kernel 2.4.6ac2).  The previously installed version was 2.9p2, compiled
against openssl-0.9.6a, also with gcc-3.0.0, but with a different build of
gcc-3.0.0.

Everything seems to work fine except for one problem:  passphrase matching
for ssh2 keys *always* fails.  I've run ssh-add under gdb several times
trying to see what's going wrong, so far without learning anything
particularly enlightening.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  I have a possible theory that
it's compiler-related, but I haven't been able to verify the theory yet.
(My previous gcc-3.0.0 was compiled with gcc-2.95.3, while the current one
was compiled with a gcc-3.0.1 installation that I subsequently backed out
after discovering it wouldn't compile a kernel.  Although I did a full
3-stage bootstrap when I rebuilt 3.0.0, I beginning to wonder whether I
still somehow got a subtly bad build.)

--
   Linux Now!   .........Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.
  phil stracchino   ::   alaric at babcom.com   ::   halmayne at sourceforge.net
    unix ronin     ::::   renaissance man   ::::   mystic zen biker geek
     2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)