SFTP protocol specifications

Slava Pestov slava at jedit.org
Wed Aug 14 06:32:21 EST 2002

Hi,

I am the developer of a text editor written in Java (jedit.org), and I
would like to add SFTP support (it already supports plain vanilla FTP).

Since Java-based implementations of SSH are not very good, my plan is to
provide SFTP support only on Unix by executing the 'ssh' program using a
wrapper to create a controlling terminal (so the password can be
provided, etc).

I have two questions:

- Would the correct command to run be "ssh -l username host -s sftp"?

- Where can I find documentation on the file transfer protocol used by
SFTP? I looked at the source code but its a bit hard to understand.

I'm not subscribed to the list, so could any responses be CC:'d to me.

Many thanks,

Slava