X forwarding on OpenServer

Greg Jewell gjewell at cnnxn.com
Wed Dec 11 04:39:18 EST 2002

Hi All,

I've been having issues getting X forwarding to work on OpenServer for OpenSSH versions 3.4p1 and 3.5p1.  I have compiled OpenSSH on Redhat Linux 8.0, Solaris 8, and OpenServer 5.0.6, but the OpenServer box is the only one that exhibits the problem.  I've detailed everything below.

I am using PuTTY for my ssh client under Windows.  If I connect to the Linux or Solaris boxes, X forwarding works as it should.  When I connect to to the OpenServer boxes, I receive the following error:
Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server
Xlib: Authentication failed at PuTTY X11 proxy
Error: Can't open display localhost:10.0

I checked PuTTY's website, and it states that this error means there is a problem on the server side.

If I attempt to connect to the OpenServer box from another UNIX (Linux, Solaris, or OpenServer) box, I get the following error when I attempt to launch an X application:
X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
Please note that I am not using "su" at any point in time.  I have seen several messages where similar problems occur when people use this.

Has anybody else encountered this?

Thanks,
Greg Jewell