PATCH: nroff detection wrong, by default uses mantype=cat

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Feb 28 18:29:39 EST 2002

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Tim Rice wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Pekka Savola wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just tested the latest snapshot on RHL72 via building RPM's of it.
> >
> > Nroff detection was wrong, and if no --with-mantype was specified, the
> > type would always revert to cat.  This one-byter fixes it.
> >
> -       AC_PATH_PROGS(NROFF, nroff awf, /bin/false, /usr/bin:/usr/ucb)
> +       AC_PATH_PROGS(NROFF, nroff awf, /bin/false, /usr/bin /usr/ucb)
>

> The test in configure.ac is correct.
> If I test your patch with this striped down configure.ac it fails.
> 	AC_INIT
> 	AC_PATH_PROGS(NROFF, nroff awf, /bin/false, /usr/bin /usr/ucb)
> 	echo $NROFF
> checking for nroff... no
> checking for awf... no
> /bin/false
>
> Leaving the : in (remember, this is a PATH) it works correctly.
> checking for nroff... /usr/bin/nroff
> /usr/bin/nroff

Exactly the opposite happens for me: configure finds /usr/bin/nroff only
with the patch.

Please take a look at the configure without a patch:

--8<--
for as_dir in /usr/bin:/usr/ucb
do
  IFS=$as_save_IFS
  test -z "$as_dir" && as_dir=.
  for ac_exec_ext in '' $ac_executable_extensions; do
  if $as_executable_p "$as_dir/$ac_word$ac_exec_ext"; then
    ac_cv_path_NROFF="$as_dir/$ac_word$ac_exec_ext"
    echo "$as_me:$LINENO: found $as_dir/$ac_word$ac_exec_ext" >&5
    break 2
  fi
done
--8<--

the first 'for' seems to make absolutely no sense if there is a ':' there;
it seems to look for an executable like '/usr/bin:/usr/ucb/nroff' then?

The contents of config.log don't help either:

configure:14779: checking for nroff
configure:14812: result: no
configure:14779: checking for awf
configure:14812: result: no

Perhaps there is a mismatch in assumptions what autoconf should do and
what autoconf does.