Web-Proxy-Option?

Peter Stuge stuge-openssh-unix-dev at cdy.org
Wed Jul 24 06:13:44 EST 2002

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 11:35:15AM -0700, John Hardin wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 00:41, Markus Friedl wrote:
> > http://www.agroman.net/corkscrew/
> >
> > for example.
>
> Sorry, I may have been unclear.
>
> You stated that there were many SSH proxycommand scripts available. I
> asked if there was a central list of them. (I like to ask
> generally-informative questions like that on lists... :) A quick google
> doesn't find any such resource.

Try searching for "http proxy tunnel" on freshmeat.net, I got 10 hits where
at least four seem to do the desired thing.  The first hit on google on the
same search is the program "httptunnel"..  Might or might not be what you
want.

> Does the OpenSSH project maintain such a list on the main website? If
> not, perhaps it should.

Probably not, it's not OpenSSH specific.

> Or is there only an HTTP proxycommand so far?

ProxyCommand in OpenSSH is the means to use whatever proxying system you can
think of.  OpenSSH doesn't care at all about what kind of system it is, and
doesn't have to, the exercise of finding or making a suitable client for use
with the ProxyCommand option is left to the reader.

It's a violently useful feature, I wish more software had it.

//Peter