ssh hang on wrong port - is it a bug ?

Hari hari at isofttechindia.com
Mon Jun 17 20:34:14 EST 2002

As seen below, telnet and ftp sessions do not hang on wrong port no.
They just print the ssh banner and exit.
Wouldn't this be expected for ssh too, to exit when they get connected to a
wrong server.

As for the client time out, can this be provided as a configurable option
(with some low default values), so that ssh clients do not hang infinitely
on a wrong port. For those with slow links, they could consider increasing
the time-out.

Thanks,
Hari

[hari at linux hari]$ telnet 192.168.0.32 22
Trying 192.168.0.32...
Connected to netra (192.168.0.32).
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-3.0.1 SSH Secure Shell (non-commercial)

Connection closed by foreign host.
[hari at linux hari]$ ftp 192.168.0.32 22
Connected to 192.168.0.32.
SSH-2.0-3.0.1 SSH Secure Shell (non-commercial)
ftp> pwd
Not connected.
ftp>