DISPLAY=unix:10.0 and localhost blues

Mark Pitt mupitt at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 19:13:49 EST 2002

I have just finished battling with this and noticed it
has been reported on HP systems too.

Problem ist, if you have an sshrc file with:

XKEY=`cat -`

-n "$DISPLAY" && $XAUTH add $DISPLAY $XKEY

then with SSH 3.1 this mysteriously fails, as the
DISPLAY is now localhost:10.0 instead of $HOST:10.0

I imagine the reasoning behind the change is to
accomodate hosts that have no reachable hostname
interfaces - and that certainly helps us, but it DOES
require some docu !

I have two bugs/features I would like to submit as
diff - what do I have to do with diff ?

thanks