Determining Local IP Address within .profile

Dan Kaminsky dan at doxpara.com
Fri Sep 6 09:35:26 EST 2002

>If this can't be solved cleanly via /etc/profile or via shell startup
>scripts then I don't have as much of a quarm with bug 384.  Just wanted to
>ensure that people explored other options first.

Socket handling is really the domain of the sshd; best to let it inform
futher layers of its own socket than to have them attempt to reverse
engineer the socket information after the fact.  (It's certainly
*possible*, but not particularly portably, flexibly, or even securely.)

SSH_CLIENT was sufficient when multi-homed systems were rare -- that's
changed.

One interesting question:  Any objections to adding ProxyCommand
functionality to sshd?  Since ssh is a server-speaks-first protocol,
there are a few limitations to having the silent client the only side
that can use non-socket connectors.

--Dan