Portable openssh integration with PAM on HP-UX 11.X Trusted System

dknodel at csc.com.au dknodel at csc.com.au
Thu Sep 26 12:00:20 EST 2002

Hi.
      I was wondering a couple things relating to PAM authentication:

1. I found that expired passwords caused authentication failure, rather
than the expected behaviour of forcing a paswword change.  After perusing
the auth-pam.c file (as it appears in openssh-3.4p1), I found that the
reason is that the case for the relevant return value (PAM_AUTHTOKEN_REQD)
from pam_acct_mgmt is wrapped with "#if  0 ... #endif";  does this mean
that handling for it is essentially there, and will be enabled soon when
it's all in & tested, or have I missed a configuration step that I
should've performed to enable it?

2. If a user's password is about to expire (interval configured with
u_pw_expire_warning from prpwd(4) in Trusted systems), they receive a
little message to that effect (apparently spat out by login(1)).  Is there
a PAM-related function that can do this (that can be invoked by sshd), or
is it a HP-UX trusted-system related step that would have to be handled
directly (eg. via the getprpwnam function, and doing a little calculation)?

Any information you've got will be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,
David Knodel
CSC
Ph: 08 9429 6424    Email: dknodel at csc.com.au