openssh 3.5p1 with openssl-0.9.7a

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sat Feb 22 11:41:03 EST 2003

Mark Janssen wrote:
> I'd say your scp binary on the 'beer' system was linked to openssl
> 0.9.6, which it cannot find anymore. Either try symlinking
> /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7 to libcrypto.so.0.9.6 and run ldconfig, or
> install a new version of scp (linked against 0.9.7a, and corresponding
> ssl libraries) on the system.

The symlinking may not work as openssl's ABI is not stable (and won't be
until its 1.0 release, see the "Note on shared libraries" section of
openssl's INSTALL file).

What's worse is that "beer"'s sshd is probably also linked against the
now-missing libcrypto.so, if so it will fail next time it's restarted.
Try "sshd -t" to test this without killing the running sshd.  Another
good reason to link openssh against openssl static libraries...

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.