ssh-askpass keyboard grab problems

Jim Knoble jmknoble at pobox.com
Wed Jul 23 09:53:25 EST 2003

Circa 2003-07-22 17:08:43 -0400 dixit John A. Sullivan III:

: Thanks for the reply.  I'm not sure how to tell which version of
: gnome-ssh-askpass we are using but we are using OpenSSH 3.5p1.

Unfortunately, i don't know anything about gnome-ssh-askpass.  I'm the
author of x11-ssh-askpass, which is why i asked you about which version
of it you were running.

: I'm running on fully patched (as of July 21, 2003) RedHat 9.0 with a
: KDE desktop.

The version of x11-ssh-askpass used in Red Hat's packages is listed in
the specfile for the openssh source RPM package, available from Red
Hat's FTP site or from your source CDs.

: I've attached a screen shot of the error (hopefully the list takes
: small attachments).  We receive similar errors with ssh-askpass only
: they show up on stderr instead of in a widget.

Unfortunately, the list-manager filters out such attachments.  In the
future, please make the image available somewhere on the web or via
FTP.

The image appears to be a screenshot of a gnome-ssh-askpass message.
Can you reproduce this with x11-ssh-askpass?  The error message would
probably appear in your session log (on Red Hat Linux, your session log
is usually in "${HOME}/.xsession-errors").

: I am not explicitly grabbing the keyboard but perhaps one of the Qt
: widgets I'm using does so implicitly.  Thanks again - John

That's the sort of thing i'm expecting is the case.  You might try
reproducing this with a minimal number of applications running ... for
example:

  cd
  if [ -f .xsession ]; then
    mv -f .xsession .xsession.backup
  fi
  cat <<'EOF' >.xsession
  #!/bin/sh
  xterm -geometry +1+1 &
  exec twm
  EOF
  chmod +x .xsession

and then choose 'Default' from the '> Session' menu on Red Hat's
graphical login screen.

--
jim knoble  |  jmknoble at pobox.com  |  http://www.pobox.com/~jmknoble/
(GnuPG fingerprint: 31C4:8AAC:F24E:A70C:4000::BBF4:289F:EAA8:1381:1491)