ssh works fine, scp fails

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sun Jun 15 21:17:17 EST 2003

Martin Pitt wrote:
> I have the following problem: ssh works very fine, but scp fails as
> soon as it wants to start the actual transfer:
[snip]
> Read from remote host piware.de: Connection reset by peer
> debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 59 bytes in 0.2 seconds
> debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 254.7
> debug1: Exit status -1
> lost connection

This looks like an issue at the server end, either something like the
shell being set to /bin/false or the server is crashing.  What does the
server log say?

> Something at my new internet provider is different, since it worked
> with my old one (maybe they are filtering away some important ICMP
> packages). But I'm asking here since scp2 from the commercial version
> 3.2.3 works, thus there must be a solution within scp.

ssh.com's scp2 uses the sftp protocol.  Try using sftp instead.  I suspect
that's all the server is configured to allow.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.