Problems with conversation functions PAM + OpenSSH

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Sat Jun 21 20:58:12 EST 2003

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 04:51:32PM -0700, Frank Cusack wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 12:47:21AM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
> > Jakub Jurkiewicz wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >  sorry, for bothering you with this problem, but I ca't find solutions.
> > > I write small PAM module, and I've got the problem with conversation
> > > function with OpenSSH 3.5p1.
> > > When the message style is PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_ON, or PAM_PROMPT_ECHO_OFF
> > > everything is allright. But when I use PAM_TEXT_INFO, or PAM_ERROR_MSG,
> > > ssh prints nothing on the client side. Does anyone know the reason of
> > > this, and how can I print messages to the user.

I *think* you'll find that if your module issues a prompt as well as
displays a message, the user will get the message.  You could just
have the message, then a prompt "Press return to continue", although
that can be damn annoying.  And I think there is an ordering problem
in openssh as well.

Anyway, try it out and see what you get.

/fc