Possible new configure option: --with-fatal-coredumps?

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sat Sep 13 09:04:28 EST 2003

Darren J Moffat wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Darren Tucker wrote:
> >       What's the feeling about adding a new configure-time option to generate a
> > core dump on when fatal() is called?
>
> Are all calls to fatal() considered "this shouldn't happen" cases ?  I'm
> sure I've seen cases where fatal() is called that are "normal operation"
> but it is time to drop the connection, eg an auth failure.

A quick grep shows that most, but not all, calls to fatal() are "shouldn't
happen" cases.

Counterexamples:
auth2.c:	fatal("Access denied for user %s.",authctxt->user);
readconf.c:	fatal("%s line %d: missing time value.",
readconf.c:	fatal("%s: terminating, %d bad configuration options",
sshconnect1.c:  fatal("Permission denied.");

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.