3.6.1p1/SNAP-20030910, AIX & /etc/nologin (similar to bug #178)

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Wed Sep 17 02:11:50 EST 2003

David Bronder wrote:
> One thought I had about differences between my failing config and your
> working config is compilers.  I'm using IBM's VAC 6.0.0.2 compliler.

I'm using gcc-3.3.

In one of the 4.3.3 maintenance releases, IBM made some changes to the pty
driver that caused some problems: from memory it was a zero-length write
to the pty would result in a zero-length read on the pty, which sshd (and
POSIX :-) interpret to mean a read failure.  Sshd would then close the
session (since it thought the pty had closed).  This resulted in the
session hanging.

I'm wondering if it's related (and it makes me wonder about races hiding
in the pty layer).

Hmm, timing.  What speed are your systems?  Mine's a 375 MHz 7043.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.