3.7p1 & PAM on Solaris

Kim Scarborough kjs at uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 18 05:07:48 EST 2003

I have OpenSSH 3.7p1 running under a chroot, authenticating through PAM to an
LDAP server. I'm also getting reports of problems with the new PAM code from
Windows users. ssh.com's Windows client (v. 3.2.5) says  "Enter your
authentication response" now, and after you enter the password and hit OK, it
says it again, although this time with no entry box. You hit OK again and
you're logged in. This isn't such a big deal, but I've also gotten a report
that some stupid Macromedia client is saying "password denied" now that I've
upgraded.

Sorry, I know this is kinda vague. Is there a way to revert the PAM auth
mechanism back to password, not challenge-response? (That is the problem,
right?) Why are these Windows clients getting confused?

Kim Scarborough                                  Web Systems Administrator
University of Chicago/NSIT                       (773) 834-7740