Solved: OpenSSH 3.7.1 compatibility problems on Linux

Stanislav Malyshev stas at
Sun Sep 21 20:17:11 EST 2003

SM>> I have build OpenSSH 3.7.1p1 on Linux from src.rpm available for
SM>> download on the site, and after installation I have discovered that
SM>> this version of openssh has many compatibility problems with old and
SM>> third-party clients that previous versions did not have.  For
SM>> example:

With generous help of Yuri Nosyrev, I have found the cure for the problem:

The problem seems to be in the mechanism that governs password
authentication and in the fact that I use md5-encoded passwords in
/etc/shadow (must be standard RedHat setting since I have never changed
anything there).

The problem was solved by editing openssh.spec in the package before
building the RPM and adding --with-md5-passwords to the configure line
(around line 194 in original openssh.spec) then proceeding with building
the RPM as usual. Seems to make all the clients that didn't work
previously happy.

Stanislav Malyshev, Zend Products Engineer
stas at +972-3-6139665 ext.109