Environment passing in Solaris 8 with later versions of SSH and U seLogin=yes

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Mon Sep 29 12:37:02 EST 2003

Roberts-Thomson, James wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got the following issue, which I'm unable to resolve by myself.
> Hopefully, someone on the list will be able to guide me, or provide more
> information towards resolving this.
>
> We've compiled OpenSSH v3.7.1p1 (which I know is not the most recent
> version) on Solaris 8 SPARC, and have noticed that when the "UseLogin=yes"
> parameter is set in the sshd_config file, the environment which SSH builds
> for the child shell isn't making into the shell.  When running both client
> and server in debug mode, I can see the following when the client attempts
> to login: (the JRT lines are my attempting to trace the program execution
> flow)

IIRC some platforms like the environment passed as arguments to
/bin/login rather than as traditional environment strings. What does
login's manpage say?

If this is the case, it wouldn't be too change the invocation of login
to pass them. We already have code to manage argument lists (used by scp
and sftp).

-d