(missing) dependencies in Makefile

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Sun Apr 4 06:19:58 EST 2004

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Frank Mohr wrote:

> Ben Lindstrom wrote:
> >
> > And the issue we are seeing due to theses lack of dependencies?
>
> As I wrote - this is usually not a problem.
> It also took me a long time to realy notice it at all
> (openssh-2.9p2 in 2001 and a lot of internal patches for every version
> since that till now).
>
> I stumbled into that trap when I added in/out counters to the channel
> structure (changed channel.[ch])
> and did a make without "make clear" first.
>
> My question was just if there is a technical reason.
> (reasons I see might be: compacter Makefile with less rules, easier to
> maintain,
> little gain and a lot of work to add them)

I doubt there is a direct technical reason, but I know I hate
reading/writing complex dependancy rules since most of them are rarely
used on a project this size.  And most of the time it is just as fast just
to do make clean && make.

Slowest platform I've compiled OpenSSH has been a 25mhz m68k NeXT slab.
Which is not that bad, but long enough to not watch or develop on. =)

If somene has some simple Makefile foo to help out on the front I would
not reject it.  Just personally don't think we need anything too complex.

 - Ben