signon problem

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Fri Apr 23 00:39:01 EST 2004

Jack Gostl wrote:

> I am using openssh version 3.6p1 under AIX 5.1. I am trying to change the
> login herald.  I have changed /etc/security/login.cfg, and when logging in
> via telnet, I see the new herald. When I log in through ssh, using public
> key authentication, I get the default herald. I am not sure if I am
> changing the correct file. If I have missed something in the documentation
> I apologize, but I don't see any reference to what I need to change.

sshd does not read the herald from /etc/security/login.cfg (which is AIX
specific).  If you want to present the user with a message before login,
use the "Banner" directive in sshd_config.  If you want the message
after the login, change the /etc/motd file (and possibly the "PrintMotd"
directive in sshd_config).  See the man page for sshd_config for details.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.