filexfer draft and uid / gid resolution ...

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Apr 28 09:39:45 EST 2004

Matthew Grooms wrote:

> Sorry if this is not the best place to post this question but I'm
> not sure who else to ask. After reading through the filexfer draft I am
> having trouble understanding how a sftp client goes about resolving uid
> / gid to its text representation. Without handling this translation for
> the user, how do they know the difference between one uid / gid to the
> next without opening up a terminal to the remote host and resolving them
> manually?

The version of the filexfer draft that OpenSSH supports doesn't support
user/group name resolution. We have access to numeric user and group IDs
only.

Later versions of the filexfer draft do support this, but I have some
misgiving about them that I would like to see resolved before
implementing support for a new revision.

-d