openssh and pam_ldap

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Fri Apr 30 06:01:54 EST 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 1:18 PM, Jason McCormick wrote:

>> Of course, one can turn on UsePAM, but the warnings in sshd_config
>> make me nervous.  Also, running a few tests, it's a little too
>> insecure for my liking.
>
>   If you're going to use pam_ldap you're going to have to set UsePAM =
> yes.  Else ssh isn't going to contact your PAM stack to do anything.
> UsePAM used to default to 'yes' until 3.8p1.  If you have UsePAM = no,
> then SSH will only try to use shadow passwords.

I understand that, but this is my point.

In 3.6, if root logins were set to "without-password", if you didn't
have a key, you weren't prompted for a password.  Now you are.  And if
you have the password, you're let in.  That obviously breaks the
"without-password" setting.

I'm well aware of how it works... my point is, it *doesn't* work, or at
least not as well as it used to.  If PermitRootLogin is set to
"without-password" then PAM shouldn't even be consulted, regardless of
the setting of UsePAM.  Older versions worked correctly in this manner.

--
Mandrakesoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
Online Security Resource Book; http://linsec.ca/