openssh and pam_ldap

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Fri Apr 30 10:17:48 EST 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 6:12 PM, Damien Miller wrote:

>>>  If you're going to use pam_ldap you're going to have to set UsePAM =
>>> yes.  Else ssh isn't going to contact your PAM stack to do anything.
>>> UsePAM used to default to 'yes' until 3.8p1.  If you have UsePAM =
>>> no,
>>> then SSH will only try to use shadow passwords.
>>

>> I understand that, but this is my point.
>>
>> In 3.6, if root logins were set to "without-password", if you didn't
>> have a key, you weren't prompted for a password.  Now you are.  And if
>> you have the password, you're let in.  That obviously breaks the
>> "without-password" setting.
>
> You can use pam_rootok or pam_list modules in an "auth" line of your
> PAM config to deny access to root when logging in with PAM
> authentication.

Yeah, I'm using pam_listfile.so and it works just as well.

> We accept that "PermitRootLogin without-password" is somewhat confusing
> when used with PAM. We intend to clarify this before the next release,
> perhaps by making PermitRootLogin accept a list of allowed
> authentication mechanisms.

Sounds good.  The without-password+UsePAM=yes+pam_listfile.so
combination works pretty good tho, so no complaints from me.

Keep up the good work.  =)

--
Mandrakesoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
Online Security Resource Book; http://linsec.ca/