OpenSSH SRP 3.8.1p1 patch

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Tue Aug 3 10:15:34 EST 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Tom Wu wrote:

> >>No, that is only an offer to license under RAND terms IF some technology
> >>is covered under the SPEKE patent.  There has not been any claim or
> >>substantiation that SPEKE technology covers the math used in SRP.

[..]

> I'll talk to Jeffrey about his comments, as I believe the issue is
> closed in the "other direction", i.e. other projects, both OSS and
> commercial, have already used SRP without paying a dime in licensing fees.

Not to beat a deadhorse.. But the IPR released by IETF states they are
"investigating how it relates".  Has Phoenix ever submitted a formal
document from their legal department to IETF or stated publicly stated
that they have "closed" the issue and that SRP *DOESN'T* fall under their
Patent 6,226,383?

The best I've ever seen is you and others saying "Oh there is no
problem."  Which is not comforting in the least.

I think if you and Stanford really wish to put this to bed I'd ensure that
the IETF gets another email stated it doesn't conflict to add to the above
URL that was posted.  If Phoenix legal department is not willing to do
that than I think it's best to avoid the technology.

- Ben